Project: Library Building for the Future
Project Description: RHCS undertook a comprehensive review and audit of the current Bathurst City Library. The audit utilised the RHCS library building audit tool based on the standards and principles of People places: A guide for public library buildings in NSW.
- Full building condition report, with reference to current library and building standards
- A library futures report containing recommendations for the redevelopment and refurbishment of the current building
- A site plan with layout options and recommendations
Geelong Library & Heritage Centre Project
Project Description: Research, staff workshop and initial design brief input for ARM Architecture for the approx. $40m Geelong Library and Heritage Centre project.
Project Outcomes: Preliminary input report that provided advice on vision and image, relevant standards and guidelines for buildings, shelving etc., and service delivery trends (local, national and international) for library and heritage services. Practical advice on physical issues such as access and address. A comprehensive design brief spreadsheet for each service element was also developed.
ARM Architecture Urban Design Masterplanning
Level 11/ 522 Flinders Lane
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Libraries for Ryde
Project Description: Libraries for Ryde – a major strategic research and planning project. This 12-month project included:
- A background and context review – covering all aspects of the library service and its delivery model, including an operational review, demographic review, policy, strategic context and the guiding principles of staff, emerging trends (local, national and international), resourcing etc. and the expected impact on the library service
- Consideration and evaluation of strategic possibilities for the City of Ryde Library Service, including, new service delivery model options, facilities review, collections review, services and programs review, information and communication technology review, resourcing – staffing, partnerships and finances, and stakeholder engagement
- Future Scenarios, including reference to the current political, economic, social and technological environment; development of a library master plan, general building planning and design criteria, a new library service delivery model – principles and criteria, and some scenario planning
- Implementation Plan (Libraries for Ryde Strategic Direction) – a comprehensive plan to guide the future development of the library service for the City of Ryde Council.
This project involved high levels of involvement from a number of library staff, including research, evaluation and feedback; input and feedback from a Council and community based project reference group, Councillors, Council officers and numerous other stakeholders.
Project Outcome: A comprehensive review of current library services and service delivery model, taking into account both current and emerging trends, locally identified needs and resourcing, and an assessment of potential future scenarios.
Development and publication of a strategic planning document, service delivery model framework and an implementation plan to guide the library service over the next decade.
A copy of the Libraries for Ryde review and strategic plan can be downloaded here: Libraries for Ryde 2014 – 2024
Libraries for Ryde “It has been quite an undertaking, but with your very able assistance and patience, we have successfully engaged and informed staff whilst coming up with a plan that will provide really good scope for the future development of the library service.” [J.Webb, Manager Library Services]
Library Review and Strategic Plan
Cessnock Branch Library
Project Description: The development of a comprehensive and Council aligned strategic plan included, research into current library industry trends and issues; a comprehensive library user survey, a library non-user telephone survey (conducted by Jetty Research Pty Ltd) face-to-face consultations with the library staff (included an online staff survey),and other key Council and community stakeholders. The strategic review also referenced current NSW and national library standards and guidelines.
Project Outcomes – A comprehensive strategic planning document and support resources that delivers:
- Clear direction for staff and the community on the library’s strategic priorities
- The strategies and actions required to achieve strategic goals
- The basis for resource planning and external funding applications; and
- An alignment with Council’s strategic direction