Project: Library Strategy Review (External Review and Strategic Report)
Project Description and Outcomes:
- A detailed review and analysis of the library’s current operating environment.
- An external review of trends and challenges in the public library sector
- Demographic analysis (future trends)
- Policy and strategic context analysis
- A review and summary of previous library planning documents
- A comprehensive library review and strategic analysis report
- Development of a strategic recommendations report and action plan – this included a proposed future service delivery model
- Strategy adopted by Penrith City Council
Project: Library Service Review
Project Description: A full review of the operations of the library service, and the preparation of a strategic plan. The purpose of the review was to allow the Town of Gawler to make short term improvements to service delivery, while the strategic document will help position the Council to provide library services to meet the needs of the community over the next ten years.
- A strategic planning document including;
- an environmental scan of the public library sector
- a detailed overview of the current Gawler Public Library
- a review of the current demographics of the Gawler area, detailing the impacts on the library service, a brief comparative performance review, benchmarking Gawler Public Library against some of its peers.
- The report, Library Connect, recommending ways Gawler Public Library can integrate with the greater Gawler Connect project (a federally funded project to deliver a digital hub for the people of Gawler)
- A strategic vision for the future, through an innovative new staffing structure and clearly defined goals and objectives.
Project: Library Consolidation Project
Project Description: This project was commissioned to examine the libraries within the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) and its portfolio partners, to identify any opportunities for collaborative or cooperative projects, and shared services. The libraries concerned are the Office of Environment and Heritage Library; the Daniel Solander Library (Royal Botanic Gardens); the Caroline Simpson Library and Research Collection (Sydney Living Museums); and the Heritage Library. OEH is an affiliated agency of the Department of Planning and Environment.
Project Outcomes: A comprehensive report that:
- Identified a service model to provide the same or better library services with the same or fewer resources; and
- Included recommendations for implementation such as
- consolidation of print resources with fewer circulation points and improved delivery services
- Repurposed spaces to meet changing user needs
- Staff resources aligned to service priorities (strategic goals)
- Professional development opportunities for library staff.
Project: Strategic Review
Project Description: A comprehensive review of the library’s service delivery model, including branch infrastructure
Project Outcomes: A report and recommendations regarding the current and future service delivery models for the library service, including:
- Comparative review against NSW Public Library Standards
- Proposed service delivery model and options
- New facility concept plan
- Facility planning (current branch infrastructure)
- Planning considerations and options e.g. shared services
- Library marketing
Project Description: A comprehensive review of the Shire’s Library service, including its staffing and structure, and the preparation of a strategic action plan to guide the library in the future delivery of services and programs to the community. The review included reference to current standards and guidelines e.g. Beyond a Quality Service: Strengthening the social fabric. Standards and Guidelines for Australian Public Libraries 2012, an evidence-based guide to the development of library services in Australia.
Project Outcomes: A comprehensive report and strategic action plan that contains:
- A set of recommended actions and strategies for the ongoing development of the library service
- A recommended organisational structure
- Alignment with Council’s strategic direction
“an excellent report and certainly value for money!” [David Koren, Manager Community Planning]
Community Library Service
Project Description: Development of a Community Library Service – an extension of the Home Library Service to the four local government areas that make up the region, to more effectively meet the information, recreation, cultural and education needs of the residents and communities.
The project outcomes included:
- A recommended Staffing structure/model
- Service alignment with current library strategy
- Development of various policies and procedures, including a service policy; and volunteer policy
- Development of an induction and training program i.e. volunteer staff induction and training plan
- Development of ISO standard metrics
- Provision of vehicle costings
Geelong Regional Library Service
Tel: (03) 5272 6027
Completed 2010 in association with Richard Sayers and Associates